The DVD Lending database for Horley/Crawley is up and running. Presently it has around 150 movies recorded. Try guest/guest to take a peek.Participants enter the details for their own DVD’s and have access to the lists of the others via search and browse facilities.
Using the Reserve/Borrow facility results in an email to the owner asking to lend the media to the borrower. The database also takes care of reminders and stats etc.
If you’d like to participate in this clever scheme, just drop me an email and I’ll set you up. You need to know me personally or work for the same company to be able to take part: implicit trust is required for the scheme to work!
MAES and Otto are both deprecated now. All functionality is present or exceeded in netjuke. If you need a Netjuke account, read more.Mail me and tell me why you need it!
New kernels acrossthe board today, 2.4.20 series is now available for all presently supported releases for all the Intel type architecture.
xinetd security fix out too, install it now!
Of these, MySQL is the one to watch: It fixes both a denial of service problem and a root exploit. The man vulnerability is a minor one and is not so important, particularly if no login accounts exist on the box.
On Thursday 1st May, odd log entries were noted on the TurboTas web site. Most strange: with only 10 registered users and 20 posted articles, mirroring the website every 15 minutes
seems a bit overboard.Nevertheless, some plum is WGET’ing the whole site every few minutes and has been doing so for 5 days now.
As the traffic is small, I’ve been bemused to see what would happen. Alas, no phone calls or emails from people loving the site and wanting to buy it for squillions. Today therefore I decided to dig a bit further.
Stats have been on the list of things to do, so I did this first using awstats See Links. Next I used half a days stats to get a feel for the bandwidth this mirror was causing. It works out to quite a few megs:around 14 megs per day.
I figure that it’s one of you guys rather than something deliberately intended to leech the bandwidth:14 megs is pretty hopeless as an attack profile.
Next job was to identify the source.
Okay. The source address is 220.127.116.11. A quick squint at the other stuff on the subnet shows us someone who doesn’t work in IT (HP switch, hah!).
I’ve left the IP address unfiltered as analysing these problems is really interesting.
Stay tuned for the next installment!